If you’re an environmentally-conscious person and have considered buying a minibus then you might have decided against since it’s not obvious that they’re good for the environment.
The truth is however that minibuses are actually good for the environment since they allow multiple people to travel in the same vehicle, helping to cut down on carbon emissions.
If you do decide to go ahead with buying a minibus then there are certain things you should be aware of. Below are some of the most frequently asked questions that first time buyers have.
Do you need a special licence?
If you’re using your minibus purely for personal use i.e. it’s not for hire or reward, then you should be OK to drive a minibus using your regular driving licence. Check your driving licence information here to see exactly what type of vehicle you’re able to drive.
If you are planning to use the minibus for commercial reasons then you’ll need to obtain a minibus provisional entitlement as well as a PSV (Public Service Vehicle) operator’s licence.
What type of insurance do you need?
If you own a minibus then you cannot insure it with regular car insurance. Instead you’ll need to obtain minibus insurance from a specialist provider.
Getting minibus insurance online is quite simple as there are many sites that enable you to get quotes easily. Minibus insurance available at cleangreencars.co.uk
The type of cover you need will depend on how you plan to use your minibus. If it’s purely for personal use then you can get by with a third party only policy. Although this provides minimal protection it is the cheapest option and will make your vehicle road legal.
If you’re using your minibus for hire or reward then you’ll need to get a higher level of cover. In addition to road risks insurance you’ll also need to get public liability cover. It’s also worth adding breakdown assistance to your policy if you don’t already have it too.
Where is the best place to buy a minibus?
There are a few options for buying a minibus. If you want to buy a new vehicle then there are plenty of suppliers who have minibuses of all sizes and brands.
If you’d prefer to buy used then using a site like Auto Trader makes it very easy to narrow down exactly what you’re looking for.
Will a drug driving conviction make car insurance more expensive?
In a word yes. Drug driving convictions that are unspent must be declared if you’re asked about them and in this case it will almost certainly make getting car insurance more expensive. The reason for this is that insurance providers consider people who have a conviction to be higher risk and more likely to make a claim.
Do I have to tell insurance providers about my conviction?
Whether or not you need to tell insurance providers about your drug driving conviction will depend on whether your conviction is spent or unspent. Most convictions become spent after a certain amount of time, meaning you no longer have to declare them. Visit the Unlock Criminal Record Disclosure Calculator to find out when your conviction will become spent.
Where can I get quotes?
There are many sites where you can get drug driving insurance quotes online. It’s usually a good idea to get quotes from specialist providers since you’ll be offered a policy at a reasonable price considering your circumstances and the severity of your conviction.
What are the best ways to save money?
Some good ways to save money when you have a drug driving conviction are –
- Pay upfront – Making a payment to cover a year of your policy when you first take it out might not sound too appealing since you’ll have to make a fairly substantial payment. However the advantage to this is that most insurance providers will knock a good bit off the overall price. This isn’t affordable for everyone but it is a good way to make a saving.
- Make your vehicle secure – Any steps you can take to make your vehicle more secure, such as installing an alarm and immobiliser, will have to reduce the cost of your cover. Having someone secure to park your car when it’s not in use will help a lot too.
- Get a third party policy – Third party policies work out cheaper than comprehensive cover since they only cover other motorists’ vehicles if you’re involved in an accident. If you want to keep costs down while getting more protection for your own vehicle then you can get a third party, fire and theft policy.
- Get a lot of quotes – Getting quotes from a lot of insurance providers is another good way to save money since you’ll be able to easily compare them and pick the best one.
If you drive then you’ll know that the cost of insurance is higher than ever. The number of scams and the fact that there are now more drivers on the road than ever means that everyone is paying the price when it comes to insurance.
There are many reasons why motor insurance is so expensive in the UK and unfortunately it doesn’t look set to change anytime soon. However there are some excellent ways you can save money on minibus insurance. Below are some of the best –
Make your minibus secure
One of the best ways to save money on minibus insurance is to make your vehicle as secure as possible. Most modern minibuses will come with an alarm and immobilizer fitted as standard but you should also make the effort to take any extra measures you can to make your minibus more secure. Installing a tracking device is definitely a good idea – it will ensure that your vehicle can be easily recovered if it’s stolen.
Increase your excess
Excess is the amount of money you would pay if you had to make a claim. If you want to reduce the cost of your premium then, increasing your excess is a very reliable way to do this.
Get the right level of cover
The type of insurance you need for your minibus will depend on what you use it for. If you drive your minibus for non-profit organizations then you can get a charity minibus insurance policy that is much cheaper, providing you’re able to provide the right documentation.
You can get any type of minibus insurance policy by using an insurance comparison site such as https://www.cleangreencars.co.uk/
Get a limited mileage policy
If you only use your minibus on certain days of the week and it’s not your everyday vehicle then you can save money by getting a limited mileage policy. As the name would suggest – this is where you agree with your insurance provider to stay under a certain number of miles in a given period.
Get a lot of quotes
Getting quotes from many different providers is one of the best ways you can save money on minibus insurance. It will prevent you from overspending since you’re able to easily compare the quotes you get and pick the one that’s best.
Some taxi firms are reluctant to make the switch to electric vehicles but with more innovation in the field of electric vehicle development all the time, it seems as though it’s just a matter of time before the majority of taxi firms go electric.
Below are some of the biggest benefits of investing in electric vehicles for taxi firms.
Great for marketing
With electric cars being so much better for the environment, they provide an excellent way to market a taxi firm by pushing this benefit. In addition to this, electric cars also provide a smooth, silent ride so overall they are an excellent way for a taxi firm to differentiate themselves from the competition.
Cut down fuel costs
Another big benefit of switching to electric vehicles is that it enables you to cut down on fuel costs. Fuel costs are one of the biggest expenses with regular petrol and diesel vehicles so the savings from switching to electric are significant.
Cheaper to insure
Because electric vehicles are generally safer than petrol/diesel vehicles, they’re also cheaper to insure. This is especially useful if you have many different vehicle types that you need to insure together under a fleet policy.
Most taxi firms will have at least a couple of minibuses and traditional minibus insurance can be expensive. Luckily there are now electric minibuses that are on the horizon so that’s another area where savings can be made.
Cheaper to maintain
Because electric cars are much simpler than cars that run on fossil fuels, they’re much simpler to maintain and suffer from fewer serious problems. This is a huge benefit for taxi firms and helps to save money.
Range improving all the time
Another reason to consider investing in electric vehicles for taxi firms is that the range of electric vehicles is constantly improving. It’s not unusual now for electric cars to do 100+ miles on a single charge. This makes them much more practical for use by taxi firms.
It seems like electric vehicles are in the news now more than ever. The technology is finally breaking into the mainstream and with incredibly popular models such as the Renault Zoe now proving that electric cars can have mainstream appeal, it seems like it’s just a matter of time before EVs takeover.
Whilst there’s no doubt that electric cars will continue to grow in popularity, the same cannot yet be said for vans. Although there are signs that electric vans could make a breakthrough, they’re yet to really break out in the same way that electric cars are.
Below are some of the main pros and cons of electric vans.
- Better for the environment – Of course a huge benefit of electric vans is that they’re much better for the environment. Many vans in the UK currently run on diesel, which is very harmful to the environment. If the majority of the vans in the UK were replaced by electric vehicles then it would have a huge positive impact on the environment. Electric vans are also great PR, which makes them a great choice for businesses trying to differentiate themselves.
- Cheaper to insure – Truck insurance is something people are always looking to cut down the cost of. Generally electric vehicles are cheaper to insure since they’re less powerful and therefore less likely to be involved in collisions. This is a big pro, especially for companies with a fleet of vans that need to be insured.
- Cheap to run – Another big benefit of electric vans is that they’re much cheaper to run. A full electric charge only costs a fraction of what filling a tank with diesel does. This makes them much more economical in the long run.
- Initial investment – One drawback of electric vans is that initial investment you have to make to buy them. This isn’t too much of an issue if you’re buying one vehicle, particularly if you have a van you can part exchange. However for companies with a fleet, the investment of switching to electric vans might not be one they want to make.
- Limited availability – Another drawback of electric vans is that they’re simply aren’t many of them available, certainly not compared to standard diesel vans. This means there’s less choice for buyers.
The majority of taxi firms still use vehicles that run on non-renewable fuel sources that are bad for the environment. Although there are a greater choice of petrol and diesel cars available and it’s easier to find petrol stations then electric charging points; there are some compelling reasons to start using electric vehicles if you have a taxi firm.
Below are some of the biggest benefits of electric cars and why you should consider them for your taxi firm.
1. Cheaper maintenance
Because electric vehicles have much fewer moving parts, they are much cheaper to maintain. Although electric batteries do eventually need to be replaced, most of them are under warranty for 8 years so when you compare the maintenance costs of an electric car to a standard petrol car, the maintenance costs are tiny.
2. A smoother ride
Another big benefit of electric vehicles is that they provide a much smoother ride for your customers. This might not seem like a big thing but a taxi ride is more about just getting from A to B. If your customers find their experience with your company a pleasant one then they’re much likely to become regular bookers.
3. Cheaper insurance
Because electric vehicles are generally safe and require less maintenance, they are also cheaper to insure. When you have a fleet of electric vehicles, then taxi insurance cover will cost less compared to insuring petrol/diesel cars.
4. Good PR
One big benefit of using electric cars in your taxi firm that you might not see the immediate benefit from is good PR. Even people who are not actively involved in improving the environment and cutting down emissions realise that it’s a serious issue. If you’re able to show that your company is concerned with helping the environment by reducing pollution then it can be a great USP for your business that helps you stand out from the competition.
Electric cars are becoming more popular all the time, especially as more and more people realise the benefits. Many people who switch to electric vehicles say they wouldn’t want to go back to using a standard petrol car. This increase in popularity of electric vehicles is something you can take advantage of and use to help your business succeed.
If you run a business that relies on the use of cars then there’s a very good chance you currently have vehicles that run on petrol or diesel. Although most business owners don’t relish the thought of replacing their company cars, there are some very good reasons to consider investing in electric vehicles for your business.
The benefits of investing in electric vehicles
Below are some of the most compelling reasons to invest in electric cars for your business.
- Save money on fuel – One of the most obvious benefits of getting electric cars for your business is that you will save considerably on fuel costs. Not only do you save money on fuel with electric cars but it may also be possible to get a government grant to help with the initial cost of the vehicles as well as funding towards having charging points installed at your business.
- A better driving experience – Another great benefit of electric vehicles is that they provide a much smoother driving experience. This makes them great for businesses such as taxi firms.
- Lower the cost of insurance – Investing in electric vehicles is also an excellent way to save money on company fleet insurance. Electric cars are usually cheaper to insurance compared to standard petrol or diesel vehicles and when you have a whole fleet of cars to insure, the savings can be very substantial. If you’re currently looking for company fleet insurance then be sure to check out Cheap Fleet – a website that enables you to get quotes from a panel of company fleet insurance specialists.
Although there are benefits to investing in electric vehicles, there are some downsides too. These include –
- Limited range – The amount of miles you can do on a full charge with an electric car is low compared to what a petrol/diesel car can do on a full tank. However the range of electric cars is increasing all the time so this isn’t likely to be an issue for much longer.
- Limited choice – Although the number of available electric cars is increasing all the time, it would be a lie to say there is anywhere near the choice of petrol or diesel cars. This might necessarily be an issue depending on the type of business you run and what your needs are.
If you run a motor trade business then it’s important to think about how you can make your business more environmentally friendly. Making your business green is not only important for ethical reasons but the government is now very keen for UK businesses to take any steps possible to reduce carbon emissions.
Running a business in the motor trade comes with plenty of challenges as it is so you might be worried about adding the strain of making your business more environmentally friendly on top of that. However making your business more green doesn’t have to be difficult. There are some very simple things you can do to cut down your emissions. These include –
Use eco-friendly fuel
Fuel is one of the biggest culprits when it comes to greenhouse gases. Therefore one of the biggest steps you can take to make your business more environmentally friendly is by using eco-friendly fuel such as bio-diesel. Of course this isn’t possible for every motor trade business since it’s not always down to you what fuel goes into the vehicles you work with. However if you run a business where you are responsible for what fuel is used then this is an excellent way to make it more green.
Invest in hybrid and electric vehicles
Investing in hybrid and electric cars is an excellent way to make your business more environmentally friendly. Electric vehicles are much much better for the environment and most people find them to be very enjoyable to drive, thanks to the smooth handling and quiet driving experience.
Another big benefit of electric cars is that they’re often cheaper to insure, which will help to reduce the cost of your motor trade insurance. If you need to renew your motor trade insurance policy then be sure to check out http://www.traders-insurance.com/ to get quotes from specialist providers quickly and easily.
Reduce power consumption at your office
Getting away from vehicles that you deal with in your business – reducing power consumption in your office is another excellent way to make your business more green. Just small things such as turning lights off when a room isn’t being used can make a big difference. Another thing that’s very easy to do (but also very easy not to do) is to set any computers than aren’t being used to sleep after a few minutes.